12 January 2010

Weekend Roundup

Chuck Klosterman usually doesn't do it for me, but he has many interesting things to say during segment 2 of this episode of To the Best of Our Knowledge.




On to urban cavemen. This is so stupid I don't even know where to begin. I think these people, though svelte and beautiful, are horribly mistaken w/r/t the soundness of their foundational principles. Imitating the diet and exercise profile of a caveman may be a sort of simulation of our "natural" state, I don't see how this is better because natural. Hobbes would beg to differ.

Not to mention that it is decidedly unnatural to either live in a skyscraper or to use a bathtub-sized meat freezer.

These urban cavemen also choose exercise routines focused on sprinting and jumping, to replicate how a prehistoric person might have fled from a mastodon.

In a city crowded with vegetarian restaurants and yoga studios, the cavemen defy other people’s ideas of healthy living. There is an indisputable macho component to the lifestyle.

“I didn’t want to do some faddish diet that my sister would do,” Mr. Durant said.

No, we wouldn't want that, now would we?



Predictibly Irrational.

No comments: